Of oulines and opening scenes
I haven’t had an extremely productive week as far as my word count is concerned, but I feel like I’ve made a decent amount of progress this week nonetheless. I was supposed to finish up the first draft of The Story of Em in February, but that clearly didn’t happen. My new goal is to finish that this month. That wouldn’t have been a problem before I got my Nook, but now I’ve been spending a lot of my free time playing with my new apps and reading that Coffeehouse Mysteries series and less time actually writing like I’m supposed to be doing.
The good news is that I’ve actually managed to come up with an outline for Em. Yesterday I took notes on the parts of the story I had written so far and realized I had made a huge error in time. I just kept throwing around phrases like “two weeks later” and “a month later,” and it wasn’t until yesterday that I realized Emelyn would be graduating already, and she should have a lot more time left at school since she’s only just started dating the man she’ll eventually marry. I spent a while yesterday working out the timeline, and I’ve finally got it so that she starts dating David in October, which gives her plenty of time to get to know him and meet his family and still decide to move in with him after she graduates in May. They’ll only have been dating for seven months when they move in together, but that’s much more believable than a couple of weeks. I was going to go back and edit what I have so far, but I’m really just shifting the timeline back a little, so I think I’ll be all right. I’m just going to have to try to remember that it’s November now instead of late spring.
I’ve also been playing with a new app I got on my Nook called My Writing Spot, which lets you write on your Nook and then sync those files with your Internet account so that you can have those files on your computer, as well. It’ll be great during NaNo when I want to write when I’m away from my computer. Yesterday I had a lot of down time at work (most people hadn’t realized that they had to bring the money with them if they wanted to buy the pictures, so I basically just sat there for hours entertaining myself), so I did a little bit of writing. I should have been working on Em or, at the very least, taking notes for my Script Frenzy idea, but instead, I wrote this:
The house had been boarded up for years. In the ten years I had lived in this neighborhood, I had never once seen it lived in. All i saw were the boarded up windows, the door with the broken handle, the cracked driveway and the yard that was so overgrown with weeds that it would take a landscaping crew months to fix.
The house was in the back of the neighborhood, at the end of a dead end. Most of the other streets ended in cul de sacs. This one ended at that house. If you accidentally drove down the wrong street and had to turn around, you had no choice but to pull into the large, arching driveway and head back out the other way. Though there were two more houses on that road, one on either side of the boarded up one, their driveways were on the main road. It wad as if the builders had known what that house would become and didn’t want it to infect any of the other houses.
I don’t really know why that was what was dying to come out, but I had to write something, and that was the image that had been in my head for a few days. I have no idea what the story is behind the house, nor do I know where it’s going to go, but I had to write the image down where I could. That’s probably the most description I’ve ever written. I just hope I can figure out why that house is so important.